Mattson Mini Modular Forum Index Mattson Mini Modular
Support and Community for the MMM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So what's going on with this thing?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mattson Mini Modular Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSIONS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nathankirchner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: So what's going on with this thing? Reply with quote

So what's going on with this thing? Hasn't been much news of late, the buzz didn't seem to linger. From the order page it looks like the first "lot" never filled??

So does that mean? it's over before it ever really began? OR is the response so high everyone if off building the first/second/tenth batch and no one is left to update the website?
GMattson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: The buzz Reply with quote

Hi Nathan,

Welcome to the forum.

The first lot is half filled. Orders slowed down a bit.

There is still a couple of weeks left before the final decision is made on how to proceed. I have been giving the current customers updates. I have also been working on finding the resources to at least get the first lot built whether it's filled or not. It really is a fun little synth and it would be a shame to just drop it.

I've been busy just "tightening up" the specs and finalizing designs.

I hope that answers your question.
nathankirchner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know there is still some hope!
RamBamBooey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DON'T LET IT DIE!!!!!! I'LL BUY ONE WHEN I GET THE MONEY!!!!!!

I PROMISE!!!!!!
dlmorley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure the market is tricky but for me this unit looks amazing for live gigs. A 24 module setup would be all I need for doing some gigs and would save me a lot of aggro.
1 addition that would be great would be an analogue sequencer.
In any case, keep at it! I am sure it will find it's place amongst the many systems out there.
ps: with the dollar so low, NOW is the time to get it out in Europe somehow!
thetonewrecker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stopping by to check in on the system. Hoping this fall to buy one finally. Just a really cool system I think.
GMattson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Thanks,

I've been slow. There were only a few pre-paid orders so, It was decided amongst the customers to hang in there with me while I built them with the understanding that I was going to have to pay for parts out of my own pocket due to lack of quantity purchase power. There are a bunch of potential customers sitting on the cart waiting to see what the reports from the first batch are.

In the meantime, it meant that I also had to generate side revenue in order to survive while building them which, took time away from working on the modulars.

I sold a couple of synths in order to obtain parts. The one and only SWAN to a gentleman on the east coast and a Syntar to Jean Michel Jarre. Those two sales provided me with the revenue I needed out of pocket to complete the existing orders.

The current batch is complete with the exception of the VCO's and VCF's. I just finished all of the DLFO's and S/H's. I want to take the necessary time to ensure that the VCO and VCF are done properly. Those are the two most critical modules for defining the stability and tone of the system. If they aren't right, it doesn't matter how wonderful the rest of the system is. I received some more breadboards today in order to work on both circuits simultaneously.

I haven't released any new news because there is nothing exciting to say other than "they're almost done". It would be better to make an announcement once they're delivered.

I really do need to update the web site with new information and represent the new graphics but, I've been busy building.

We'll see how the orders go after the first batch is done. It really is a cool little synth and other manufacturers are designing modules in this format.
Lilt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Are complete systems being produced? Reply with quote

Hello All.
I want to purchase an MMM but I am nervous as it doesn't seem as if this thing is happening. I would love to buy a complete system, with several extra modules, but from what I have read it doesn't seem like the unit that I order will be produced. There is a definite interest in this system ( over 2700 visits to this topic alone) and I would be less reluctant to put down the cash if I could see more images, hear more examples, read more detailed information. Your system, from what I have heard and read, is top notch. Up there with the best-MOTM, Macbeth. . . . the filter, VCO, and Buffer are all brilliant concepts. I am ready to replace my System 100m with the MMM but all this talk of unfinished systems and everyone "hanging in there" is a shame and makes me sceptical (would be shelling out $2120.00 in my case) . I hope I don't come off here as some kind of spiteful party-pooper type but I am really excited about this synth, I WANT ONE! ! ! ! Help me here, I really am perplexed. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
GMattson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: MMM Purchase Reply with quote

You're perplexed?

Join the club.

Essentially, I needed 10 orders in order to stay 100% focused on the system development last year. I received 4 orders.

That meant that I had to find ways to survive while developing the system. I polled the customers and asked them a simple question:
Return their money and walk away? Or, hang on for the ride.

Everybody voted identically. which essentially was "We're getting one-PERIOD! End of discussion!!"

I was seriously humbled and moved by the support and my customers have been receiving progress news letters as the project unfolded.

All of the systems are now complete, with the exception of the VCF. The VCF prototype was built and tested to my satisfaction last week and the boards and parts have been ordered. The bottom line; We're within a couple of weeks for the first deliveries. The better line; Due to the time involved in doing it this way, the end result is much better than originally advertised.

Once these are shipped, I will be working on re-designing the marketing and sales policies. I'll be breaking up the system and selling it as individual modules and support components. The power supply will be a wall-wart per cabinet and the MIDI will be an independent dual-module with an integrated power switch and DC voltage +/- indicator.

I will also be re-evaluating my pricing policy. The modules will no longer be sold at an across-the-board price and will be priced to reflect a more realistic structure. I haven't decided if I'll do a full-system package or not.

Once all of this has been decided, this web site will be re-structured to reflect the policy changes. Keep your eyes open for the re-design.
Randaleem

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: MMM Purchase Reply with quote

GMattson wrote:
You're perplexed? <snip>
The power supply will be a wall-wart per cabinet and the MIDI will be an independent dual-module with an integrated power switch and DC voltage +/- indicator.

Hi George,

This IS most perplexing. You have created perhaps the most portable modular ever, but now you're going to require a lump?! Per case?!? Where will it/they! stash when the case is being moved?

Nobody asked, but I believe this would/will be a BIG mistake.

If you do need to use a wall wart, and I can think of many reasons you might want to: I'd suggest putting it IN the case, and then wiring to its blades internally (to an externally accessible cord socket, IEC or similar mounted to a plate). Or IMO better, just spec a "desktop" style small WW, kind of like a laptop uses, but much smaller (linear) so it again fits INside the cabinet. You can rout a hole in the case that mates with this type of PS's existing line cord connector. Very inexpensive, robust, and with UL,CSA,CE certs, etc.

Certainly not my decision to make, and I hesitated to say anthing at all. But WW are nearly universally hated even with stationary equipment. But As dangling bits of a synth designed to be portable to the extreme?!?

Not to mention a mid to large system; say anything which goes beyond 4 or so cases. Because now we've outgrown the commonly available outlets AND perhaps the commonly available powerstrip (So we need adapter "Squids", or our own powerstrip(s). Yet more items we'll need to carry with our "portable" systems!) Not ot mention the possibvility of mixing up the MMM WW with another we might have for some other gear, and pfft! no joy. (Of course this NEVER happens to musicians<G>)

OTOH, if the only thing we need to plug in is an IEC or 2 wire line cord, then it all stows safely "flat" during travel (with our patch cords and setlists/music) and sets up safely and quickly. Still may have 4 plugs, but at least they're common everywhere and not LUMPS with measly weak-wired connectors that pull out-or break- at the least opportune time!

As you're "re-tooling" the system details, you might want to look into case to case A/C connections to minimise the power cord needs for multiple case systems. These are inexpensive and again flat, sturdy and small. Over time, I'm sure you'll see more than a few multi-case system owners who will thank you for this foresight. (They don't need to be part of every system sold, can be an upgrade; after all it's a panel! that way the people who don't need 'em don't have to buy 'em. OTOH, this can be the kind of thing which helps "upsell" to larger systems when it IS included on every case. )

Glad to see you're re-visiting some of the basic biz practices. I'm sure we'd all like to see this thing fly! (But lose the WWs!<G>)

Just an opinion. YMMV.

Kind regards, Randal
GMattson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: System re-design/ Power Reply with quote

Hi Randall,

I agree. I don't like WW/LLumps either but......

1) It gets rid of the AC power certifications.
2) Since customers can buy a box at a time, they'll have to have a
power supply for each box. Currently, the power supply takes a little
over 1 module space but, less than 1 panel space. Since the MIDI
was just the opposite, the two were merged.
3) The WW I've been looking at won't power both cabinets. They just
don't have enough juice for two cabinets.
4) There isn't enough room to stick a commercial supply inside the
box. There's only an inch between the module PCB's and the back
of the case. 30% of that is used for the DC distribution. It's pretty
tight.
5) If I have internal AC and wire case-to-case, that subjects the system
to be required to go through the highvoltage certs. Which
defeats the intention of item 1.
6) The ElPac WW's I've been looking at are hardly weak or measly.

But, the good news is that the JP VCF boards arrived yesterday and worked beautifully. Well, the one I built did. Smile

Once these are built and shipped, I won't be focused 24/7 on design and production and can put some thought into how I'll do this.

You may or may not win the coin-toss Randall. But, thanks a lot for your input and suggestions. It keeps me from being myopic. Smile
soundxplorer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: MMM Purchase Reply with quote

Randaleem wrote:
This IS most perplexing. You have created perhaps the most portable modular ever, but now you're going to require a lump?! Per case?!?

George, I have a few questions, and based on the conversation above between you and Randaleem, I'm wondering if there was some miscommunication?

The current "base" system (with two cabinets, left and right) appears to have a built-in power supply and uses a standard 3-prong power cable, NOT a wall wart PSU. Is that correct?

That's what I'm seeing in this picture:

Then, some sort of proprietary cable connects the second cabinet to the first for power.

Or is this an old picture and things have changed?

When you mentioned a wall wart PSU, I took that as you referring to options you might offer in the future? In other words, allowing people to purchase just one cabinet by itself, and modules individually, with a wall wart PSU?

I'm wondering if Randaleem thought the current base systems being offered required 2 wall warts (one per cabinet), when it appears to me that it doesn't need any.

Please let me know if I'm wrong here. I'm this close to buying a base system right now, I just need to figure out a few things.

Thanks!
GMattson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soundxplorer,

You are correct. The original base system consisted of two cabinets, an internal power supply/MIDI combo and a power interconnect cable to run the DC from cabinet A to cabinet B.

That's all changing. (BTW-that wood grain on the back of that cabinet you posted was custom. the rest have dark hardboard.)

I will be offering individual modules for sale and opening up to global sales. While doing that, the 12-module cases will be sold individually with all the associated power distribution and all hardware except the hinges. The customer can decide whether they have a cabinet A or cabinet B and just order whichever set of hinges they require. The holes and imbedded nuts for mounting them will already be on the case. Each case (12-module unit) will have an associated external power supply either in the form of a WW or a LL. Since I haven't finished discussing the topic with the supplier, I don't know which it will be.

I will also be offering an alternate version of the case where each cabinet is oriented horizontally, instead of vertically.

The possibility also exists where I'll find an external power supply big enough to support 8 or 9 cabinets and just have a distribution system to run DC power to each cabinet from one source.

What it boils down to is: If I want to continue to provide people an opportunity to enjoy the things I make, I can't run AC Voltage into the box. I don't have the resources for getting all of the bureaucratic requirements satisfied to do that. Physically, there's no problem.
Providing a power supply manufactured by another party that already has the required certifications allows me to focus on what I believe to be the most important aspect. The modules and the people that use them.
soundxplorer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMattson wrote:
That's all changing.

EDIT: OK, I just read your other post about "suspending orders until Jan 12, 2009". So regarding my questions below, I guess I'll just wait until the 12th to see what happens. If it is still possible to order one from lot #08A without a wall wart, send me a message. - Thanks

My original post:

Gotchya.
OK, if I order right now for lot #08A, do I get the original system that does not have a wall wart?
Or are all new orders postponed until the new power system is in place?
Thanks for your time answering these questions. The MMM sound most awesome!
GMattson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Soundxplorer,

You'll have to wait. Lot 08A closed. The one S/N 08A-0001 squeaked in before I blocked the cart. I just happened to have enough inventory left over to put one together without having to put up large amounts of capital for sheet metal work and custom stuff.

I have to re-vamp everything. Since I first announced this system, the prices were based on Aug, 2007 research. I had no idea that fuel would triple and shipping costs increase as much as they did. Those shipping costs were added to the individual parts costs at the suppliers. Essentially, I paid to make lot 07A and provided a year of free labor. Those customers came out pretty good. Obviously, there's no way that trend can continue or I won't be able to make these at all.

So, I'm selling it as individual components and am re-working the price structure to reflect an actual value-per-module than just a blanket, across-the-board pricing structure. That way, customers can get what they need as their budget allows, rather than dropping a larger chunk of change on an entire system.

I have a week left to figure all of this out and get the web site updated to reflect the changes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mattson Mini Modular Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSIONS All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: